Weight Management Therapies
Weight management involves several treatment options targeting different spheres associated with weight loss such as diet, changes in physical activity, behavior, life style. The most difficult part of weight loss regimen is weight management. It is difficult to loose weight but it is all the more difficult to maintain the desired weight. Once you have achieved your weight loss the next step is to ensure that the weight that is lost is not recouped by the body.
Weight management program can be based on diet therapy, behavioral therapy, drug therapy or a combination of all of these.
Diet therapy focuses on the intake of calories, the aim of this therapy is
- to increase physical activity and
- decrease calorie intake.
Physical activity and Exercise : This is a very important part of your weight loss program because physical activities and exercises can burn your calories and make you shed weight even if you do not change your diet. Regular aerobic exercise for about half an hour can make you lose 400-800 calories depending on the intensity of your exercise and the consequences can be as good as losing one pound per week. But this does not mean that once you have reached your desired weight, you can skip them from your schedule. Let me caution you, stopping your exercising would lead you to the same imperfect figure. So keep exercising but if you want you can reduce the intensity and time devoted incase of weight management.
Note: Before starting to exercise, talk to your physician about your overall heath and cardio-vascular condition. Start according to doctor’s advice so that you can get the best out of physical exercise. Read more about diet therapy here.
Control Calorie Intake : Control your calories by understanding what you should eat. Consult your doctor to find out what type of diet is best for you depending on your height, weight, health conditions, and desired amount of weight loss.
You must understand that a diet plan aims to establish a comfortable weight loss providing all required proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals and maintain your weight loss at the same time.
Diet therapy helps you to reduce weight by lessening fatty tissue as well as increasing lean body mass. This way, your metabolism will be increased and you will burn more calories even if you are taking rest. Also note that Diet therapy is against Crash dieting hence ward it off from your schedule.
The most important aspect of weight loss endeavor is to bring about a change in life style which is not possible without motivation, focus and determination. After all, it takes a lot of effort to change a habit which you have practiced for years!
Psychologists prefer using cognitive-behavioral therapy to encourage weight loss motivation and change life style. The therapists motivate the person to change diet and increase physical activity patterns; they also focus on changing habits to promote weight loss . It is important to modify behavior to reach the weight loss goal. The strategies involve supporting the individual to overcome emotional and behavioral barriers to adjust with new dietary changes and physical activities in the weight loss program.
This therapy includes;
- Self-monitoring : Recording diet and exercise patterns in a diary.
- Identifying high-risk situations : having high-calorie foods under unavoidable circumstances
- Motivating specific actions : Eating less of a certain type of food which is full of extra calories.
- Setting realistic goal : Changing unrealistic and wrong notions about weight loss and body image with positive approach.
- Joining or creating a social support network : Joining a support group or creating one involving family members, friends and colleagues to encourage weight loss in a positive and overcome emotional barriers.
When diet and behavioral therapy of losing weight fails closing all other doors, it is time for you to consult your doctor and ask for weight loss with drug therapy. There are medications approved by the Food and Drug Administration that can be used to encourage weight management by two ways;
- Suppressing the appetite of an individual : This type of drugs work by suppressing the appetite and cravings for food in a person. The drugs are categorized as appetite suppressants, medicines for obesity known as amphetamines. Phentermine and Adipex fall under this category; they give a feeling of fullness in the stomach and thereby decrease appetite. You can buy them from Phentermine375.net. These type of medicines increase the level of neurotransmitters Serotonin and Noradrenalin (Nor epinephrine) in the human brain cells to get this type of result.
- Inhibiting the absorption of fat from the intestines : These type of medicines works in gastrointestinal tract of the digestive system to block about one-third of the fat from being digested. Lipases are an enzymes in the digestive system which help digest or break down fat in your food. When taken with meals, the medicine attaches itself to the lipases and thereby blocking them from breaking down the fat from food particles. Xenical is an example of a medicine falling under this category.
Note: It is advisable to take the following medicines with doctor’s advice and avoid taking the so called “natural” or herbal products for weight loss which are not approved by FDA. Most of the time these weight loss products are associated with certain harmful side effects because of the undeclared ingredients in them. Herbal supplement manufacturers do not have to follow the rules of FDA to sell their products in the US , so most of the herbal products are less evaluated and researched for their efficacy, safety. Choosing the so called herbal medicines involve greater life and health risks.
Combined therapy for weight loss and weight management includes diet & exercise therapy, behavioral therapy as well as drug therapy in the same program. There are reasons behind combining therapies for your weight loss program especially in serious obesity cases;
- Combining low calorie diet along with increased physical activity can produce more weight loss results than dieting and exercising separately.
- If behavioral therapy and drug therapy go hand in hand, the consequences will be quick and effective healing of obesity.
- Again drug therapy can assist in adhering to low calorie diet, it helps in supporting diet therapy thereby giving more effective results in weight loss and management.
Finally, it is important to remember that there is no shortcut to success. If you wish to lose weight and at the same time manage your weight, you must forget about all quick-fixes. Weight loss takes time, effort and patience moreover; one should remember that being healthy and beautiful is a lifelong process. If you wish to get permanent weight loss and a great figure all through your life, you will have to ensure continuous lifestyle changes which keep you active plus healthy diet in every phase of life.